August 7, 2014
Amazingly Delicious BBQ Sauce: Homemade & Gluten-Free!
We love this time of year, fall is heading our way, but summer still in full swing. It’s great for sipping cocktails poolside, relaxing in a hammock underneath your favorite shade tree, and firing up the grill for your taste buds’ enjoyment.
For meat lovers, the this time of year makes us long for more of those sweet savory BBQ ribs, a perfectly charred steak or a burger – to die for. But as every grill master knows, when it comes to great BBQ, it’s all about the sauce, whether on the side with a good dry rub, or slathered on as the meat sizzles. But if you are living a gluten free-lifestyle, the perfect sauce may not be found on the grocery shelf.
Fortunately, all you need is 10 minutes and a few easy-to-find ingredients to whip up your own amazingly delicious gluten free BBQ sauce.
Try this 5-star recipe contributed to SparkPeople by a fellow BBQ lover, and remember if it’s a big hit – the origin of your special sauce can stay your own little secret!
Gluten Free BBQ Sauce Ingredients
This recipe makes about 10 to 12 ounces of amazingly delicious BBQ sauce and yields about 16 servings.
- 6 oz. can plain tomato paste (no extra ingredients)
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce (Lea & Perrins is gluten-free)
- 1-2 cloves (or 1/2 to 1 tsp) minced garlic
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup honey (to taste)
- Chili powder to taste
- Optional: 1 tsp ground ginger
- Lemon or lime juice to taste
Gluten Free BBQ Sauce Directions
Grab your favorite saucepan, wooden spoon and let the magic begin!
- Combine all the above ingredients and stir over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Taste test periodically to get just the right amount of honey and pepper.
- If your sauce is too thick, bring it to your desired consistency by adding a little lemon or lime juice.
If you are not going to serve it right away – pour in a jar and refrigerate!
And voila! Now all that’s left to do is invite some friends over, load the cooler with some adult beverages and ice-cold FIJI Water, light the grill, put on your apron, and let the mouth-watering begin!